I have always been a strong advocate of Animals rights.
Whether it’s Biblical or Evolutionary or whichever beliefs that one follows.
The undeniable fact is Animals existed far earlier than Human Beings.
Yet, I never thought in a million years that my old eating habits were indirectly causing harm to animals and even the place we call home – Earth!
It was not until February 2017, that I finally decided to change my eating habits.
What was the main cause of changing my eating habits?
Earthlings (2005 Documentary narrated by (the Animal Rights Activist and renowned Vegan Hollywood Actor) Joaquin Phoenix).
The documentary depicts some of the tortures and sufferings an animal has to suffer just to be a “Food” on our plates.
What started off as more of a sense of alleviating the sufferings indirectly from my side, then became more knowledgeable through watching other Food related documentaries (such as “Forks Over Knives” (2011 Documentary), Fed Up (2014 Documentary) and (most recently) Endgame 2050).
But, after years of eating meat and suddenly becoming a Vegan in Germany (with limited Vegan Food Options) was always going to become a mountain too high to climb.
Then, my wife (who is from Japan) told me that the Ancient Imperial Japan (before the West forced Japan to open its borders around 1800), was mainly consuming Vegetables, Fruits and Seafood.
So, then I found out more about Pescatarian and since then, follows Pescatarian diet.
What does Pescatarian means?
Is a person that includes Fish and Seafood to a Vegetarian diet.
Many Pescatarians (including myself) also includes dairy and eggs . This kind of diet can also be referred as “Ovo Lacto Pescatarian diet”.
(Sometimes spelled “Pescetarian”) The term Pescatarian was coined in the early 90s using a combination of “Pesce” (which means Fish in Italian) and the “Vegetarian”.
Advantages/ Reasons people follow Pescatarian Diet:
- Health benefits of a plant-based diet plus heart-healthy seafood (thereby reducing chances of heart related diseases)
- Reduces the environmental impact (carbon footprint) compared to producing meat
- Religious or cultural reasons
- Supplements more nutrients compared to Vegan or Vegetarian Diet
Pescatarian Diet includes:
- Whole grains and grain products
- Legumes and their products, including beans, lentils, tofu and hummus
- Nuts (nut butters, peanuts and seeds)
- Seeds (includes hemp, chia and flaxseeds)
- Dairy (includes yogurt, milk and cheese)
- Fish and shellfish
And what Pescatarian Diet does NOT include:
Beef, Chicken, Pork, Lamb, Turkey, Wild game and mammalian meat (includes Dolphins, Whales etc.)
Disadvantages of being a Pescatarian:
- (Like Deforestation, Climate Change, Greenhouse Effects) Overfishing can lead to another environmental disaster waiting to unveil
- Risk of consuming Contaminated Seafood (caused due to dumping plastics, rubbish, chemicals on to the waters) and suffer side effects
- Exposure to high levels of Mercury. The bigger the fish, the higher the Mercury level will be as the Bigger Fishes feeds on the smaller ones
Verdict: If things go the way it is now…with the World Population increasing exponentially, (regardless of wealth class) we will have an unprecedented Global Food Crisis due to dwindling food resources and Climate Change related factors.
Then, we all will have to follow what our early Ancestors (whether “Adam” or “Ape”) did…Eat Fruits and Vegetables.
Simple yet difficult Solution (with few Food Options but good for you and beneficial for the environment)…Be a Vegan ((myself included) whether it’s now or eventually); as one can get all the essential unadulterated nutrients directly from a pure Plant Based Diet.